Sunday, January 16, 2011

Are you awake? Are you okay?

I still have decided if I'm being crazy or concerned. I think I've mentioned that everyone in my family has been sick recently. Yesterday, I felt like just crawling into bed and watching movies all day. Life isn't like that when you have a toddler and a husband that is working overtime hours to help the family.

I decided that part of what I needed to do (to make myself feel better) was just start cleaning. Dishes needed done, the stove needed wiped off, the kitchen floor needed swept, there's a ton of laundry that was folded and needed to go up to our bedroom (which has been difficult, because all of this coughing stuff has made it really hard to breath heavy), and every time that I look at my son's playroom and see his toys all over, I just cringe! Anyway, I did a little bit of everything, but didn't really finish anything. I did feel better knowing that I got some of work done.

My mom called me around lunchtime and asked if she could come over and visit with Matthew and I. I was glad for the company and grateful that she brought over Wendy's for Matthew and I! After some book-reading, bowling, and some Thomas watching Matthew fell asleep in the crook of my Mom's arm. He looked so sweet. It was late, about 2:30 in the afternoon. I usually put him down around 1.

My Mom and I chatted for about an hour and then she left. I started to do "nap math" to determine when Matthew might be getting up. Usually he naps for two hours, but when he takes his name after 2ish, sometimes he will end up napping for closer to 3 hours. 5o'clock came and no wake up. 6, 7, 8o'clock and still no wake up. I started thinking about how sorry I was going to be when Matthew woke up at 2am and wanted to play, but then I'd think about how sick he had been feeling and thought that maybe his body actually needed the rest.

Around 10, I texted Scott and told him what was going on. I asked him if he thought I should wake Matthew up so he'd sleep through the night or just let him go. I told him that I just couldn't decide what to do. Scott said to just let Matthew sleep and if he got up through the night, he would stay up with him. That's one of the awesome things about my husband. While I am a light sleeper, I need my sleep! If I don't sleep, the following day involves: crying for no reason, hatred of everyone, and hatred for life! My husband knows this about me and has always been so great about getting up in the middle of the night to help me out.

Scott got home around 11:30 and we went to bed. Scott checked on Matthew and reported that he was still breathing (thank God!!!). I tried to sleep, but I was still coughing a lot and had a lot of anxiety about Matthew waking up in the middle of the night.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up at 6:30am and neither Scott nor Matthew were awake! I started to panic again! Could my son really be so sick that he needs over 16 hours of sleep? Could the cough and congestion hindered his ability to breath? Is everything okay and I'm freaking out for nothing????

Pulling my hair out (while thinking of all of the most horrible scenarios), I started this blog post to find out if you have ever had this freak out kind of moment....and do you check on your kiddo or just let him go??

After I wrote about half of this post, guess who woke up with a big smile, runny nose, and a VERY full diaper?


  1. Glad to have read the last line!!! Good sleeper Matthew!!! Could you please teach your cousin Katelyn how to do that?!? Not quite that long, but 5-8 hours would be really cool :)

  2. are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa ( ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

    if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.