Saturday, January 15, 2011

Soupy Saturday

We are all sick again. I still have this cough way down deep in my chest and while it is getting better, it just won't go away. Sadly, my son and my husband have both caught my cold over the past 48 hours. My poor baby was up coughing a lot last night and now has a runny nose again. My husband decided he was going to work some overtime this week and now he's got an eleven hour work day (on the phone), a cough, and a slowly vanishing voice. What to do?

I decided that it was time to make another big pot of chicken noodle soup. I really have no recipe, just a general knowledge of how to put it all together to make a nice big put of soup.

I started out with a whole chicken t that I bought this morning for $3.89. I put the chicken into a giant pot of water. I added a bag of baby carrots (which I cut up into smaller pieces), 4 stalks of celery, and 4 very small onions. I added a little bit of parsley, 3 whole garlic cloves (because a little bird keeps telling me how much they help when you are sick), a dash of salt and pepper, and a dash of celery salt.

I let all of that cook for about 45 minutes. Then, I added a bag of egg noodles and let that all cook for another 10 minutes.

Yesterday, I went to the Breadworks on the North Side. I picked up 6 Baby Tuscan's, because they were 3 for $1. I thought they would make great bread bowls. I cut out a hole at the top of my bread and stuck my soup inside.

This was a nice treat for me and for my throat!

No comments:

Post a Comment