Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Awesome Cauliflower Cheese Soup!

If you need a new soup recipe, I have one for you!

Surbrina, one of my playgroup moms, made this for her daughter's birthday. It was amazing! I had to have it! I finally decided to make it today. This comes from RecipeSource.co



Here it is....



Title: CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP
Categories: Soups
Yield: 3 servings

1 md Cauliflower
2 c Chicken stock
1/4 c Butter or margarine
1/4 c Chopped onion
1/4 c All-purpose flour
1/2 ts Salt
1/8 ts Pepper
2 c Milk
1 c Grated medium Cheddar cheese
Buttered bread crumbs for
Garnish
Parsley

Cook cauliflower in chicken stock until tender. Do not
drain. Cool a bit. Run through blender to desired
texture. Set aside.

Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and saute until
limp. Do not brown.

Mix in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk. Heat and stir
until it boils and thickens.

Add cheese and cauliflower mixture. Stir to heat and
melt cheese. Garnish with buttered bread crumbs.
Makes 5 cups.

From: “Company’s Coming Soups & Sandwiches” by Jean
Pare. Copyright 1987. Published and Distributed by
Company’s Coming, Box 8037, Sta F, Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada T6H 4N9.

Submitted by Joe Sibley.

Here are a couple things that I did.
1. I guess my choice of cauliflower was too big, because I cut it all up and there was going to be a lot not covered by chicken stock. I ended up doubling the entire recipe so that it would hopefully make up for the extra cauliflower. It worked!
2. I did not have actual chicken stock, so I made it with some water and chicken flavored cubes. It was a one cube to one cup ratio.
3. I didn't have the specific cheddar listed and ended up substituting with the cheddar-jack blend that I did have on hand.
4. I didn't mess with any bread crumb garnishes, but I did put a little crescent roll on the side to eat with this soup.


All in all...AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment