Sunday, January 15, 2012

What to do?

I was finally able to catch up with someone tonight. I knew that she must be very excited to talk to me, but I wasn't really sure what she was wanting to talk about.

So...in the fall, I was asked to teach a preschool program for homeschool kids. That might sound a little weird...and if you've not ever considered homeschooling you're saying "Why would someone ask  you to teach a class for homeschoolers??"

Basically, there are groups all over that meet up together once or a few times a week. They do enrichment programs for children that are homeschooled. It is a great way for kids to spend time meeting other homeschooled children and also learn about something that interests them during the day and for a reasonable rate.

Last semester, I was nervous about doing this program. I was pregnant and unfamiliar with the people, the program, the location, and expectations. I went back and forth with it for a long time before agreeing to do the program. Then, there weren't enough kids to run the program so I thought I was going to be "canned". However, everything kinda came together at the last moment and I was on for 5 weeks of a preschool course.

It was a lot of fun! I had originally planned a play by play of the day and thought that I would do all kinds of activities. Then, I realized that was silly! I was going to have a group of kids that ranged from 2 to 3 (or maybe 4) and there was no way they were going to do an entire hour of "work"....no matter how fun or how much they were able to move. There's just no keeping their attention that long!

So this phone call tonight, I was asked to run the program again, but a 4 hours program instead of one hour. This class would be the only one offered for kids ages 2-5 (last time I was contending with a few other classes for kids in the 3-5 range).

I'm really suck! I feel like I want to do this! I love teaching! I'm having a good time teaching Matthew, but I would also love for him to be with other kids. I also know that I would likely feel overwhelmed if I took on this job. It is difficult to have Matthew in my class! He is pretty wild and he takes a lot out of me! Throw in the fact that Scott wouldn't be able be there to help me like he did last time AND I have a new baby that I nurse on demand.....I feel like I know that this is just too much for me right now, but I want to do it....I do....I'm annoyed that I can't take on the world anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment