Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Recently, I think I hit "Phase I" of nesting. It could just be that I was excited for the new room to be finished, but I think it was more than that. As things were getting close to done, I started to realize that there are so many areas of our house that are unorganized! It's really sad!

Last week, I was really heavy into getting the attic organized. The problem with the attic is that so much has to go and it's hard to go through every box and rubbermaid and get either find a place for it, determine that is too sentimental to toss, donate, repair, re-purpose...or whatever! I will be the first to admit that we have a lot of stuff. We have childhood memories coming out the ying-yang and then wedding stuff, baby stuff, teaching stuff, holiday stuff, and electronics....just all TOO much! It really does get frustrating! It's so hard to find anything and even if you get started on one thing, you are doing it at the expense of time that could be spent on something else (by working up in the attic on 3 different days, I was not able to get all of the regular housework done).

What's been really cool about all of this for me has been watching the globs and globs of stuff go away. There is an amazing feeling of relief when you realize that you aren't going to be bogged down by as much stuff as you were a couple days ago.

So, that attic is all kinds of halfway organized and halfway not even touched. That's a project that will continue to need work. I knew that, but I still started on another one.

With the new room being finished and Scott moving his "man-cave" upstairs, I was super excited to move the playroom into the back room. It will be out of the way, but when we have parties, it will add another room that kids can play in while staying on the first floor. It will also allow me to having my dining room back AND I will be able to shut the door on the room and pretend that whatever mess is behind there is not! I'm really excited about this project, but I wanted to make some improvements on the room first.

I wanted to fix up the baseboards in that room. They have chipped paint coming off of them everywhere you look. It's horrible!! We decided to take off the old baseboards and replace them. That seems like a simple job, but it's turning into something that is unfamiliar to me and I am learning as I go.

Right now, we have the baseboards off of the wall, but there's different heights to the baseboards. Three walls had baseboards that were 7 and half inches. The 4th wall had a baseboard that was over 9 inches. To even them out, we have to take joint compound and go over the area to bring it back down to 7 inches. After that, we'll have to sand the area and paint the walls. The painting was something that I wanted to do anyway, so I'm not so worried about that, but I don't know much about joint compound and I'm not looking forward to learning.

I'll keep you posted....

Hopefully, this project won't be one that I am interested in, but the interest dies off. We'll see though...I HAVE to finish now!

No comments:

Post a Comment