Saturday, April 30, 2011

Garden time!

I love to hate this time of year. I love the idea of having a great (or somewhat decent) garden to eat from, but after I get started, I get really easily bored with having to get everything ready to grow. I love things that keep coming back...like my Spring flowers! They are awesome!

Two years ago, I decided to try something new. I was at Kmart and picked up one of those silly little boxes of asparagus. I thought I'd give it a try. Sadly, I didn't really read the box until I got home. So, it was then that I found out that I wasn't going to be harvesting some awesomely huge amount of asparagus anytime soon. In fact, I probably wouldn't be getting any at all that first year! That was exactly what happened.

The first year, the plant just kind of rooted it self and grew and grew, but nothing that really looked like asparagus. It looked more like a fern. When that first season ended, I was bummed that I didn't get anything out of my asparagus. Even though the box said that it would grow the next year, after we had our regular winter snow, plus a day with 2 feet of snow...and I'd done nothing to protect my plant....I knew nothing was going to come of it.

Well, I was wrong! As it turned out, letting that fern grow was really a good thing for my asparagus. The second year, I had a couple things that looked like asparagus, but not wide or tall enough to make it worth harvesting. So, I let it go again.

This year, I didn't know what to expect. About 3 weeks ago, I started noticing that my asparagus was growing! I did a little online research and found that asparagus can actually grow and grow well in the Spring.

Yesterday, I decided to go out and make a few cuts to mix in with our breakfast! I was super excited to be able to!





Supposedly, I'll be able to cut and recut a couple times this year. I am so excited to be able to eat right out of our garden! I can't wait to see how everything goes!

If anyone has grown asparagus before and would like to leave a tip for me, I'd love to take them! I really the type of garden that just learns as I go and as I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment